Stansted joint-manager Paul Pittuck in recovery after suffering heart attack during Essex Senior League match at Saffron Walden Town

Stansted hope Paul Pittuck will be able to return to the dugout when he recovers from suffering a heart attack during last week’s Essex Senior League, Premier Division match at Saffron Walden Town.

The joint-manager was taken ill 10 minutes from time in the game at Catons Lane on Tuesday December 27.

The contest was brought to a temporary halt while both clubs’ medical teams and an off-duty paramedic assessed Pittuck, before the decision was taken to drive him straight to A&E at Addenbrooke’s Hospital in Cambridge.

Pittuck is now in a stable condition following two operations and Stansted say doctors are happy with the progress he is making.

His fellow joint-manager John Watters will take sole charge of the side – with assistance from coach Neil Tillotson – until he is hopefully well enough to return.

A club statement said: “Last Tuesday during our Essex Senior League clash against Saffron Walden our team manager Paul Pittuck suffered a medical emergency. Both clubs and an off-duty paramedic made the decision to transport Paul immediately to A&E at Addenbrooke’s Hospital where the diagnosis showed Paul had suffered a heart attack.

“Paul has now had two operations and treatment to resolve the issues which have been successful. He is now stable and currently being monitored.

“The doctors are happy with his progression so things are looking positive. He will be out of action for a while as he has been through a hell of a lot and his recovery will take time.

“All of us at the club are thinking of Paul and his immediate family at this moment in time. We also thank Saffron Walden FC for their support when the emergency took place.

“The club will keep you updated and we look forward to Paul’s return.”

The match, which was watched by a crowd of 537, was able to be completed and ended 1-1.

Billy Coyne put the fourth-placed Airportmen ahead with an excellent free kick, but Thomas Head equalised for the 12th-placed Bloods.

After the game, Saffron Walden tweeted: “We wish Stansted manager Paul Pittuck a speedy recovery. At times like that football moves to one side.”

Struggling Sawbridgeworth Town were also in action that day and picked up a decent point by drawing 1-1 at fifth-placed West Essex.

Mitchell Arthur gave the hosts the lead five minutes after the break, but substitute Freddie Griffiths equalised for the Robins, who are third from bottom, with six minutes left.