Obesity: Lose fat like never before

Scientists also recognise genes that control approximately 20 per cent of an individuals body weight while exercise and diet control the other 80 per cent

Scientists also recognise genes that control approximately 20 per cent of an individual’s body weight while exercise and diet control the other 80 per cent.

Photo : iStock

New Delhi: Obesity is not just a health problem in itself – it is the root cause of many other crises associated with wellbeing – from diabetes to heart disease to metabolic syndrome, acute and chronic alike. And while people invest time, money and effort to find a solution for it all, it seems that there is more to the management of obesity. The classic treatments for obesity include following a healthy and balanced diet and regular workouts to burn the extra fat apart from weight loss surgeries and fat cutters which are not considered safe. But it seems like there is a particular gene that can slash body fat by up to 15 per cent. Known as the ‘skinny gene’, read on to know how it works.

Scientists have come up with a genetic variation that is known to protect people from accumulating extra pounds. Experts who found the gene named it rs2291007 and discovered the same by scanning DNA of 79 people in Spain.

Approximately 60 per cent of Europeans carry the gene, however, they do not always stay slim. However, based on a research in mice, it was discovered that humans who carry the gene are more likely to be slim than those who do not. Experts noted that mice with the ‘skinny gene’ had 10 to 15 per cent less fat than their counterparts who did not have the gene. However, it is only a tendency and not necessarily a free pass to over-eat without the possibility or fear of gaining weight.

The study also discovered that people who carried the gene had lower weight, less boy fat and more muscle mass than those who did not have it. The study which appeared in the Genome Biology journal also added that obesity is preventable but its causes should be understood in order to come up with effective preventive measures.

Scientists also recognise genes that control approximately 20 per cent of an individual’s of body weight while exercise and diet control the other 80 per cent.

What are the causes of obesity?

According to Mayo Clinic, there are several factors which affect obesity risk. The genetic factors aside, obesity is influenced by behavioural, metabolic and hormonal variables which define how much fat and energy the body will use and how much it burns. While its consequences are majorly known to all as diabetes, heart disease and metabolic syndrome to name a few, it is essential to be aware of the causes as well. These include:
  1. Family history
  2. Unhealthy, high-fat diet
  3. Sedentary lifestyle
  4. Excess intake of empty, liquid calories
  5. Medications
  6. Age
  7. Smoking
  8. Lack of sleep
  9. Stress
  10. Unhealthy gut
  11. Pregnancy

Disclaimer: Tips and suggestions mentioned in the article are for general information purposes only and should not be construed as professional medical advice. Always consult your doctor or a dietician before starting any fitness programme or making any changes to your diet.