Posted: January 2, 2023
January 2023 Employee Wellness Newsletter
Make 2023 a year to be inspired! New wellness platform and programs, Eating With a Purpose nutrition series, and more wellness trends in the news!
Last year my word for the year was ‘opportunity’. Every day we have an opportunity to take simple steps toward better health and enhanced well-being.
This year I want you to focus on what inspires you. What gets you up in the morning (other than the alarm and promise of hot magical morning elixir)? What drives you to try, fail, try again, and then grow through the experience knowing that you’re stronger because of it regardless of the outcome? When we approach our work and personal lives with this tenacity we stay motivated and help others do the same.
I’m inspired by you. All of you in the vastly different areas of APS who strive to be better, do better and serve others despite whatever suffering you may be going through.
I’m motivated by people in our #APSMorningMotivation Twitter group who get up very early to exercise despite what I know are long, hard work days. I’m inspired by the food and nutrition crew, transportation, custodial and M&O, our counselors, social workers and nurses, teachers and EA’s, special ed, PT, OT, IT, communication, foundation, payroll, finance, human resources, police, and many other departments. We are this big, beautiful diverse mix of humans working separately, yet together for a common good.
That inspires me to help you feel and function better. To live a life where you can do the things you’ve always wanted to do unhindered by injury or illness. A life where you can connect with the people, places, and activities that bring you joy.
My hope and encouragement for you in this new year is that no matter where you sit at APS, you feel this spark, it motivates you to action and you pass it on.
New! In January 2023
APS partners with The Solutions Group to bring you a variety of well-being programs as well as the Wellness at Work platform and incentive program. We are happy to announce our well-being program is getting a significant upgrade in the transition to a new platform called Virgin Pulse.
The new mobile app has enhanced wellness options, easier access, and simplified activity syncing. Registration on Virgin Pulse begins on Jan. 4, 2023. Eligible full-time employees will receive an invitation email from Wellness at Work (it’s not spam). Access your new Wellness at Work platform with the same username & password. New users can easily register in less than 5 minutes. This is open to all full-time APS Employees. Find your balance, get daily inspiration, and experience the rewards of feeling & functioning better every day!
January Monthly Webinars
Every month APS employees now have access to a variety of well-being webinars. All webinars are recorded. Register and receive the recording for on-demand viewing at a time that is convenient for you. All the information and links/QR codes to join are in the Employee Wellness event calendar.
- Saturday, Jan. 7, 10:00-11:00 a.m.: Life on Mindfulness – Our Beautiful World
- Tuesday, Jan. 10, 12:00-12:45- Living Financially Well
- Tuesday, Jan. 17, 4:30-5:15- Eating With a Purpose- 6-week live/virtual nutrition series. Register and receive the recording and materials to view at a time that is convenient for you.
- Wednesday, Jan. 18, 8 a.m. or 12 p.m., 15 minutes: Three R’s for New Year Well-being
- Tuesday, Jan. 24, 3:30 – 4:15 p.m. – Living Financially Well
- Mindset Monday, Jan. 30, 12:00 p.m. 15 minutes: Shift to Positive Thinking
Virtual and Email-Based Wellness Opportunities
- Life on Mindfulness: Check out the new Life on Mindfulness website with the password APSLOM. This is a free, flexible program for all employees that offers daily drop-in meditations, new weekly and monthly content, featured meditations, and Saturday workshops. Everything is recorded for on-demand access. Links for daily drop-ins and the Saturday sessions are in the APS Employee Wellness Calendar. Enroll in the Life on Mindfulness Program for all content and email reminders. This site is mobile phone optimized so you can access a wide variety of recorded meditations anytime, anywhere. *The Life on Mindfulness program is open to all APS employees.
- Health Coaching: If you would like help with managing a chronic illness and weight loss to improve your health, or simply feel better, APS offers free health coaching to all APS employees. *Open to all APS employees.
- 30 Ways to Well-being is an email-based program. Register and receive daily wellness emails with simple yet innovative practices to do every day. This will bring new awareness for you around stress, sleep, movement, nutrition, connection, and more! This is an ongoing program. Enroll and engage at your own pace. *Open to all APS employees.
- Livongo: Get your life back and manage diabetes, high blood pressure, and obesity with this personalized program- Livongo. The name is short for Live On The Go! Because having a chronic illness can hinder our positive life experiences. We want you to get that back and feel better! Participants receive one on one expert coaching, and integrated tools to manage blood sugar, blood pressure, and weight loss. *This program is free for eligible employees and dependents under APS Benefits.
Short wellness presentations for school staff and APS departments. We can tailor to your needs and fit time ranges from 15-60 minutes. Some topics include:
- Just the basics – APS wellness benefits and resources
- Stress, Burnout, and Resilience
- Social well-being
- Financial Well-being
- Ergonomics and Musculoskeletal Health
- Understanding Healthcare & Medical consumerism
Schedule Pet Therapy!
This is for APS employees. If you would like to offer your staff or department a couple of hours of furry-cuddle-stress-relieving therapy time, fill out this request form. Please note that accommodations must be made for any colleagues who have allergies to dogs.
Group Exercise Classes
- Monday (virtual) 6 to 6:30 a.m.: Sunrise Yoga link to join is in the APS Employee Wellness event calendar.
- Monday (in-person) 4:45 to 5:30 p.m.: Gentle Vinyasa Yoga. Location: City Center/Rio Grande OR Arroyo Chico Rm
- Tuesday (in-person) 4:30 to 5:15 p.m.: Gentle Vinyasa Yoga. Location: Helen Fox Complex, 1730 University Blvd. 2nd-floor wellness room.
- Thursday (in-person) 4:45-5:30 p.m.: BodyBalance – A fusion of bodyweight, yoga, and core sequencing for a total body strength and flexibility class. Location: City Center/Arroyo Chico
About the classes
- In-person group exercise classes are at City Center/Alice & Bruce King Complex or Helen Fox.
- In-person classes are 45 minutes in length and all levels are welcome.
- Classes are free for APS employees.
If you have any questions contact Becky MacGregor by email at [email protected]
Wellness in The News
Your monthly dose of fitness, nutrition and wellness trends!